Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Art as Communion

You don’t have to be staring at a cathedral ceiling or singing a religious hymn to benefit from the transforming power of art. We’re all drawn to different forms of expression. These days for me, honest, heartfelt, old school country facilitates the most heart-opening and soul-expanding opportunities. I’m in awe of this and often ask myself how a depiction of someone else’s misery (as these songs often are) can bring me such a deep sense of authentic joy and help me find answers to life’s puzzles. The only plausible explanation I’ve found is that the force that inspired and initiated the creative endeavor in the first place touches everyone who observes it for all time to come. And let’s face it if someone is singing, regardless of what state they’re in, that is a sign of hope and the first step out of their predicament. Most, if not all artists, will be the first to tell you that it feels like some other power takes over when they are creating. Some call it the “Muse”; others might call it God. Whatever it is and whatever form of expression it takes – from a piece of fine art to a gritty rap song – if it comes from the heart, it inevitably touches the heart.

It seems one of the most constructive outcomes of this interaction with art is to assist us in moving through states and stages of consciousness. It naturally follows then and shouldn't surprise us that what we're attracted to will evolve as we develop. So I hope y’all will honor whatever form of art calls to you, know that there is a reason you’re drawn to it, feed yourself with it; and if you’re truly open, it will, as good as any Sunday sermon, bring you into a sense of communion with a power greater than yourself. Have fun and savor it!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely put, Om Cowgirl. But ... I'm still working on appreciating the gritty rap. So I still have a few states & stages of consciousness to go. :)

    -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes two of us Doug! I think that's why the "Muse" insisted I write that. Maybe we're beyond that stage - at least that's what I like to think :)

    ReplyDelete