Thursday, September 8, 2011

Life as an 8 second ride

This day starts off, as most do, like an 8 second ride -- me jumping out of bed - the equivalent of the bull outta the gate.  8 seconds...in yoga terms that's shorter than one deep breath - a full inhale and exhale for the average person takes at least 10 seconds - for experienced yogis more like 20.  I've never ridden a bull, but I can imagine that in those 8 seconds the NOW is brought into the spotlight like never before.  I suspect that's what keeps people coming back over and over again. There's nothing to think or do - only ride.  All the mind chatter has to fade, blotted out by the urgency of the present moment.  0 to 8 seconds of freedom from the ego - yes!!  The nowness of reality and the realness of now, breaking those unruly trixters called past and future - arguably the cause of all suffering. Oh to ride this day like that, as if my life depends on it, holding nothing back, breathing presence into each and every second, staying on, not by resisting, but by becoming one with the ups and the downs; trusting that Life will send me only those bulls I'm ready to ride.  And should I fall, I know tomorrow's another rodeo and most likely I'll put on my chaps, hop on, and ride. Giddy up!

No comments:

Post a Comment